Monday, November 09, 2009

Portfolio 101 + Les Halles = Fashion Marketing FUN!

Date: 6 November 2009
Event: Portfolio Lesson by THE Saundra Saulnier & Comparison Shopping @ Les Halles
Where: Paris [oui, oui] ♥ Saundra Saulnier's apartment & Les Halles shopping mall


This past Friday I met up with the designer, Saundra Saulnier.





She was so kind as to offer me a Portfolio lesson. We met at 11am at her apartment. I had no problem finding her place, I actually kind of stumbled upon the right streets...
The problem came after getting into the apartment building (tsk, tsk...) I sat there for atleast 30 minutes trying to figure out which apartment she lived in. I kept telling myself that she said she lived on the first floor...yet (embarrassingly) I never actually went to the first floor...
So there I was on the ground door taking turns on the only 2 doors down there - knocking on this door and ringing the doorbell at that door. I kept hearing the clicking of someone's heels walking here and there upstairs. Unfortunately I kept ignoring them and started checking out the apartment's bulletin board and mailboxes, hoping to see her name just as a reassurance that I was in the right place (as if the code given to me that allowed me entry at the front entrance was not enough...tsk, tsk...).


Thankfully, after 30 or so minutes, I finally thought to use my human abilities of thinking logically and my fashionista senses & decided to just follow the clickings of the heels...


Voilà. The clicking of the heels belonged to Saundra on the FIRST floor... tsk. tsk. (i know)
    ♥ Don't judge me :)


& Moving right along............


Saundra Saulnier gave me many valuable methods & pointers on how to prepare my portfolio(s). I am really thankful for her Portfolio 101 lesson, I extremely needed it - I'm a senior getting ready to be out in the "real" world!!


Only a few of Saundra's portfolios...




Saundra is currently in the process of creating a mini fashion film for her SZ collection that will be directed  and produced by Axel, a top director who has experience working for Armani and other top names. Check out his Armani ad here:
Axel - Armani


During the lesson, a model stopped by for a short audition/fitting with Saundra. She came and tried on a top - this trip did not last for more than 10 minutes, very short & sweet. Then we continued with the Portfolio 101 session.



Next we went to Les Halles shopping mall to conduct some marketing research.


We checked out all three H&M's, Zara, Mango, Bershka, Tally Weijl and Pimkie. We analyzed the store's window displays, discussed which trends were prevalent, took note of the color palette and took in the overall environment of the retail stores (i.e. its ambiance, shoppers, and layout, to name a few). 

The stores are below.



H&M






& My FAVORITE black dress of the day...
     ♥ Loving it....!




ZARA











      ♥ I've found a new love...



 














So, overall I had a very productive and fun Friday. I think it was a fantastic way to start off my Fall Break from school. I even did a write-up after the experience and plan on using it for my fashion marketing & merchandising final project. Smart, right?!? =)



Did I mention my break started November 5th and will be until the 16th?!? 


Before I know it, I will be back at LAX waiting for my boyfriend to pick me up. Then 2 weeks later I will be driving back up to Davis to finish off my senior year...
Whew! How time flies when your "having fun"... ♥

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

way to go Lady!!! Looks like such great hands on experience. Fantastic! I am proud of you:) Ps. maybe you will teach a course on portfolio at school.