Friday, October 02, 2009

My 1st garment ♥

 I was browsing through my pictures and came across my 1st, real garment I had ever made. It brought a smile to my face.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Link to ME on the RUNWAY :)


NOTE: there are more pix at the bottom ♥
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Since I have been in Paris, I have constantly been thinking about my collection that I will have to start creating once I get back to UC Davis. I am really excited about it, however, I am really nervous and anxious, as well.

I am continuously told that I have the "strongest disadvantage" of all the students in the collections course for winter '09...

You see, I have taken the least number of design classes than anyone else--and the 1 or 2 who I am tied with are at this very second, back at Davis learning how to print their own fabric, or brainstorming ideas with Suzan (the collection's FAB instructor), or in the process of getting started on making their fabrics, so that when the collection's winter '09 course start, the fabric will be ready then all they'll have to do is cut and sew.

I am a bit disturbed by the fact that I will not have the previous quarter (this current Fall '09 quarter) to work out all of the kinks, prepare the fabric, and further enhance the collection-to-be through communication and collaboration with peers and instructors.

However, Paris is SuPeR!! and a great opportunity that I am ecstatic about; I am happy I was able to snatch it and run off with it. I can honestly say that being here has positively changed me and I have never been this happy for a very long time & I will not trade it for anything. At this time, I know that life as a senior design student is very hectic & stressful at UCD with the Runway Designers Club (we, who plan & organize the fashion show) with the budget cuts, walk-outs, protesting, etc. But here, that is [not at the moment] my reality, so I am thankfully able to concentrate on other things, like ME (for a change). I am eating healthy again (3 meals+/day, fruits/veggies) --I will admit that I may be eating too many carbs--pasta almost everyday and a baguette for sure everyday :(
There is, of course, some level of stress, but since I do not really have a studio course--in terms of hours in class per week and requirements--I am able to get more sleep etc.

But anyway, seeing the picture of my jacket made me think back to the beginning of my pattern-making course when I thought it was impossible for me to make one. I had defeated myself. I had put in my head that I wouldn't be able to make something that was FABULOUS in such a short time. BUT, of course, I DID IT AGAIN... I surprised myself in the best way possible. I created a garment that I was proud of and that I think is a worthy-1st garment. *pat on my back* ← i don't give myself enough of those ;)

Here are a couple other garments I created. I wish I had my portfolio pictures, but unfortunately I haven't been back to school since June, so I have not retrieved them just yet.

[but anyway] enjoy...


Inspiration: pOp ArT & comic strips...
...so the layers are pop art-like fabric (the brightly colored strips) and comic strips from the Sunday's newspapers (the black/white paper)






-------------------------



Inspiration: Pieced-quilt work...
This project was pretty cool, we were only allowed to use her left-over knit fabrics--which basically were cut-up, small scraps. So, interesting, it was.


-------------------------

So, the moral(s) of the story:
Don't doubt yourself
Only think positive
Keep your eye on the prize
Do your best
Don't listen to the negativity...BELIEVE IN YOURSELF & YOUR ABILITIES!!!

...of course I am also really telling myself that -- with my collection in mind


So, [back to my original point] in winter quarter '08, in my pattern-making course, we made jackets as our final project.

enjoy...


3 lapels and [very long] sleeves w/4 layers...
      I am so in ♥ with it...

 
created and styled by:
♡♥ r i c e kisses co u t u r e ♥ ♡


and me modeling it...

      ...hey, housefield! =P

No comments: