Friday, October 02, 2009

♥ Pompidou Studying!!

Bonjour!!
Today I am happy to announce that I had a productive day. I went to St. Jeanne Elizabeth School (every Thursday) and participated in conversational English with the students. I was told that St. Jeanne Elizabeth is the #1 school in Paris & the #4 school in France, so it's something like a big deal :) I was there around 11am and was expected at 11:20am to speak to my first class. Then after answering a series of questions about America and my thoughts on Paris, it was lunch time (12:30pm). Any interesting questions?? Hmm... well a 17yr old asked me what I thought about French men. But this was nothing compared to last week's questions. Last Thursday was my first time speaking with the students (but that time, I only spoke to the second class that started at 1:20pm). Last Thursday's class asked me questions such as, "Do you like Hannah Montana" asks a 16 year old then a 16 year old girl asked me what type of music did I like, then after I told them that I attended high school in Long Beach,, CA (get this: ) a 16 year old boy asked a few minutes later, "You said you went to school in Long Beach?" I answered "Yes." He then asks innocently, "Do you know SNOOP D. O double G??" I kind of giggled because not only was his accent the cutest thing I've ever heard pronounce Snoop Dogg's name, but also because he was genuinely, wih a straight face,  interested in my answer. It's kind of, well, idk, funny that I even get that question outside of the States. I had grown accustomed to the question in the states, I just expected to be asked that, but in France too?!? OK, is that all people "know" about the LBC??


------------- lol.
Anyway, today after the first class, one of the teacher's I work with took me to the teacher's canteen (she called it). There, she and I grabbed ME some lunch. She grabbed me like 5 small rolls lol but I appreciated it, everyone knows of my weakness for bread (and fruity candy :( ). In addition to the rolls, I grabbed chicken (that was so tender that it practically fell off the bone before I had the chance to pile it on my plate), cut up tomatoes and cucumbers, cheese(of course) and a chocolate pudding for desert (I had wanted some pineapple, but didn't want to seem greedy.. :) ). So I happily ate my meal--everything properly with a fork and knife (the French way). Afterward, I had a little time to glance through my magazine -- which I only payed 1€ for!! -- until the next class at 1:20pm. Next class I did my job, spoke and read to them in English, and in the process I learned 3 new words: un médicament = medicine; ordonnance = prescription; & coffre-fort = safe. Time flew... Oh! Did I mention getting invited to go dancing with her & a few colleagues?!? =)
---------------
Afterward (well, about 3-4 hours later) I went to the Pompidou Center to study. It was good. Stephanie (one of my roommate's and colleague from UCD) was already there -- i was suppose to meet her there, probably earlier (??). We excitedly shared ideas for our debut collections and probably joked a little too much to be in a library...but good times :) She left around 8:15pm, I stayed until closing (10pm) and almost finished my chapter :) Today was a good day. Tiring, but good, nonetheless.



The "internal organs" that makes up a building is this building's (the Pompidou Center) exterior. Extraordinary, right?
-----------------
While I was reading I came across a fact that I've heard before, but apparently didn't quite remember--or I wouldn't have found it to be so interesting. Anyway, in my fashion marketing & merchandising book, I read,
In the United States, the first sizing studies were done in the mid-1800s as the U.S. government prepared for the Civil War. Measurements of soldiers were taken and evaluated. The review of these measurements showed that some body dimensions were commonly found across numerous men. This information led to the first standardization of sizes and the first sizing charts ("Standardization of women's clothing," 2004)
 Instantly, I thought to myself, "BLOG WORTHY (BW)" (haha) and scribbled that in the margin and highlighted the passage...nerdy--i know, & i it!!

Also, what I found interesting and kind of a "duh!" after reading it and thinking about it is:
  ...to attract and maintain a loyal customer, many companies selling women's wear use vanity sizing, or a sizing scale that allows the consumer to buy a size smaller than she might otherwise purchase and get the same fit (Kincade & Gibson 98).
So. Yeah. I thought those were interesting points. i learning! it's fun! =D

No comments: